Hillsborough River State Park
15402 U.S. 301 North
Thonotosassa, Florida 33592
Get out of the stores, away from the parties and join us in the woods this December for our second annual half marathon and quarter marathon! With a mix of pavement (just a little), forest roads, wide and single track trail, this run has it all--beautiful canopied forest roads, riverbank single track, and fast, flat woods running. Hillsborough River State Park--one of the state's oldest--provides great facilities for an awesome start/finish area and our post-race buffet. Oh, and "What's a quarter marathon?" you say??? Well, only the hottest new race distance--6.55 miles!
Choose how you DARE GREATLY:
Hillsborough River Half Marathon
Start Time: 9am
This run starts and finishes in Hillsborough River State Park. After short start on pavement, the run turns onto the Wetlands Restoration Trail, then the Old Fort King Trail. Racers follow the Old Fort King Trail to the turnaround aid station at US 301 for a scenic out and back. Once back to Dead River Road, racers turn south on this canopied park road. Where the road dead ends at the Hillsborough River, racers turn north on single-track trail until they run again into the Wetlands Restoration Trail and return to the state park.
While this run mixes a very little bit of pavement with forest roads, it also has a significant portion on trails--expect roots and ruts, mud and sand and rocks!
• $40 until June 6, 2013
• $50 until October 11, 2013 • $55 until Registration Closes Nov. 30
Day-of Registrations: $60
Hillsborough River Quarter Marathon
Start Time: 9:15am
This scenic run starts and finishes in Hillsborough River State Park. After short start on pavement, the run turns onto the Wetlands Restoration Trail, then the Old Fort King Trail to Dead River Road where racers turn south on this beautifully canopied park road. Runners turn around deep within Dead River Park and retrace their steps until they run again into the Wetlands Restoration Trail and return to the state park.
While this run mixes a very little bit of pavement with forest roads, it also has a a short stretch on trails--expect roots and ruts, mud and sand and rocks!
• $25 until June 6, 2013
• $35 until October 11, 2013 • $40 until Registration Closes Nov 30
Day-Of Registrations: $45
4-5 on route with sports drink, water, a variety of snacks. BUT, there will not be an aid station every mile. Be prepared with a means to carry water on your run.
• Custom Tech Shirt
(guaranteed for pre-registration only)
• Post-Race Buffet and Drinks
Award for all Finishers
• Post-Race Raffles
• Award for all Finishers
• First Place Male and Female Overall
• Custom Award for First Place
in each Age Group
• 14 and under
Friday, December 13
• Overnight Camping Available (recommended)
• Check back to see if we will offer Friday night race check-in Saturday, December 14
• 8:00am--Park Opens/Check-in/Day-of Registrations (if not sold out)
• 9:00am--Start of the Half Marathon
• 9:15am--Start of the Quarter Marathon
• 10:30am--Post-Race Buffet available
• 12:30pm (approximately)--Awards and Raffle
Park Entrance Fees:
• Regular Park Entrance Fees Apply
• $6.00 per vehicle. Limit 2-8 people per vehicle.
• $4.00 Single Occupant Vehicle.
• $2.00 Pedestrians, bicyclists, extra passengers, passengers in vehicle
with holder of Annual Individual Entrance Pass.
• Parking is limited, so please carpool with other participants if
Hillsborough River State Park
We encourage you to make a day or a weekend out of racing at Hillsborough River State Park. With a number of picnic areas, pavilions, several playgrounds, the Spirit of the Woods Pool Side Cafe and Gift Shop, an ADA-accessible half-acre swimming pool and canoe and bicycle rentals, the park is a great place to bring the entire family!
Camping at Hillsborough River State Park
Hillsborough River offers RV and tent camping with electric on most of the campsites in this 112 site campground. Each site is equipped with water, a fire ring and picnic table. Each loop has restrooms with hot showers and laundry facilities.
Reservations may be made up to 11 months in advance through ReserveAmerica.