Introductory & Advanced Courses: Navigation with Map and Compass
DATE: By reservation only for groups or individuals or
FOR OUR October 22, 2017 CLINIC CLICK HERE TO REGISTER:
Cost: $35-60 per person depending on group size
We provide all maps and an instructional packet!
Orienteering Teambuilding Events Available!
These Half-Day Clinics Are Perfect For:
• adventure racers
• trail runners
• mountain bikers
• and anyone looking to take their land navigation skills
to the next level
Introductory Course--What We Will Cover
• familiarization with topographic maps
• basic interpretation of contour lines
• terrain recognition
• basic compass use
• estimating distances
Advanced Course--What We Will Cover
• review of map and compass basics
• reconciling maps/aerial images
• advanced terrain recognition
• map marking and map care
Advanced Course--What To Expect
• a brief review of basic map and compass skills
• a brief compass review field exercise
• a mix of "classroom" and field exercises
• emphasis on "guided" exercises in the field
• extensive off-trail travel
• an extensive final field exercise
• a "remote" location with very minimal facilities
The Introductory class takes place at Trout Creek Park/Wilderness Parks in Thonotosassa. The Advanced Class takes place in an remote area where we will have very minimal facilities and be away from our vehicles for an extended period of time.
Your Instructor: Kip Koelsch was a second place finisher at the US Rogaine Championships (24-hour navigation race) and the Florida State Orienteering Championships, Kip has taught land navigation to hundreds of people over the last eight years. A two-time winner of the Florida Coast to Coast Adventure Race, Kip has navigated in places as varied as the Canadian Yukon, Newfoundland, North Georgia, Olympic National Park, Tennessee, California, Maine, the British Virgin Islands and Borneo.